Thursday, December 17, 2009

day 22 and 23 - exploration of the city

We started the day at Chateau de Versailles. Wow, what an incredible place. It was a very sunny day and the metro didn't take too long to get there (just under an hour). This place is huge! We walked around the museum and then to the different rooms of this Chateau. Many pictures were taken (pretty sure that there was a no camera policy but everyone else was snapping away so i followed...) We did the audio tour so we learned lots. Then we proceeded to the gardens. This place is just so huge! The walk down to the end was about 2km. I cannot imagine the upkeep for this place. This portion of of the day took almost 6 hours.

We walked by Les Galleries Lafayette but didn't shop inside. Instead we looked at the kiosks outside the store. There were scarfs, earmuffs, towel wraps, a piece of cloth that you can wear 10 different ways...I bought a scarf and a Russian type hat. We then went back to the Ramen Street (St. Anne) to have Ramen again. Our "favourite" place just closed as we got there so we had to settle for a less tastier Ramen restaurant. We then went to Monoprix to pick up some wine to enjoy in our room.

The next morning I finally got to eat a Nutella waffle. Mmmm...it was good. It was so good that i accidentally left some on my jacket! I have so much stuff to dry clean when i get back! We then went to the Avenue de Champs-Elysees. We started out at the Arc de Triomphe. Then shopped our way down. We had the most fun at LV which we went there twice! James was on a mission to find a nice wallet and I was on a mission to spend some dough. On our second visit to the LV store, we were stopped by a Chinese man who only spoke Mandarin. He was asking if we could go inside to pick up something for him and he would give us cash to pay for it and we could even keep the receipt to claim the taxes. I quickly searched for one of Professor Chan's (my one and only daddy) lectures and remembered that he warned me about this. He once told me that people come up to you to ask you to buy something for them as they have been banned by the store because they buy the products and then return to their homeland to make fake duplicates. James thought it was a good idea until I dragged him away and enlightened him in a short "Coles notes" version of the lecture. In the end we did not buy that wallet.
We then went back to Les Galleries Lafayette to have some fun shopping. Again, no luck in spending my money. I guess in a good way, it's better this way. We then took the metro to Nortre Dame. As we got there, it was just closing! So we walked along the Ile St. Louise walk and attempted to find Le Petit Prine de Paris, suggested by Momo. No luck so we just ate at a nearby restaurant near home. I got to eat my Moule frittes! We went back to our hotel and had wine again and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment